Good Morning. Can you believe it is is 2010? As I get older time goes by faster…Funny how that works!
Are you bring in 2010 with a New Year’s Resolutions? I’m not a big fan of New Year’s Resolutions. Seems to set me up for failure every time. Instead I like to make small healthy choices throughout the year. Sometimes we set our expectations so high we don’t meet them and then we think we have failed ourselves when all we need to do is make realistic goals for ourselves.
Here are a few goals you can make throughout the year to better yourself for the long run. Some ideas seem really simple and silly and others are a bit more challenging, but either way they will make you healthier for life.
– Try to have at least two cups (or more) of fruit a day. Did you know that one cup equals one small apple and most people don’t get the required two cups of fruit a day. Don’t know what equal a cup? Click here.
– Already in shape and ready to continue on into the new year? Try to make some new goals. Add a new excercise into your routine to spice things up a bit or register to run or walk in a race whether it be a 5k, 10k or even a half or full marathon.
– Do you find yourself eating out a lot during the week for lunch? To save money and calories try bring your lunch to work. What is most effective is if you bring everything to work on Monday and then you don’t have to worry about it the rest of the week.
– Eating a lot of processed foods these days? Want to improve your diet but don’t know where to start? One way is to take one or two processed items out of your house. Take a stand and toss it in the garbage can and vow that you will not buy those items again (maybe buying them occasion depending on what the item is) and replace those items with fresh vegetables or fruit or better yet both!
– Trying to kick the soda habit? For starters switch to Hansen’s soda, then buy soda every other week and then slowly adjust and then buy it once a month and then once every other month. Soda should be a treat that you have once in a great while. Not something that you have everyday. Soda is really just empty calories and robs your body of calcium.
– Do you get that afternoon sweet tooth? Try munching on vegetable slices, almonds or apples and peanut butter.
– How much water do you drink per day? Not enough? Drink more water in twenty ten! Did you know that men should consumer about 3.7 liters of water a day and women should consumer 2.7 liters of water a day, and this is just for the body to function! There is no real trick in drinking more water…You just have to do it. It is a conscience effort. If the taste of water isn’t your thing try adding fruit to your water for a little flavor or even cucumbers. Perhaps buy a special mug or glass that you have on your desk daily to remind you to drink water.
These are just a few small ideas to help you jump-start the new year. New Year’s resolutions can be difficult and are often hard to follow through with. We all want to start the new year out fresh and want to make a commitment to change something for the better. I say start with something small and improve it though out the year. Have a happy and healthy New Year!