Did you know that water is more important than food? We can go weeks without food (although it is not recommended), but not more than 48 hours without water! You are probably wondering why… well water isn’t something out body can store. Instead it is something we constantly need otherwise we will not be able to function. It has been figured out that an average adult loses approximately 2.5 quarts (10 cups) a day! It is probably why you hear people say you need to drink 8-10 cups a day. We need to replace what we have lost.
Personally, I don’t think 8-10 cups is enough. 8-10 cups only replaces what we have lost, whether it is through perspiration, respiration or urination.
Below are some key reasons to up your water intake:
– Water carries nutrients to our cells
– Water aids digestion
– Water flushes out our body of wastes and keeps our kidneys healthy
– Lubricates and cushions our joints
– Water reduces inflammation
– Water regulates body temperature
– Studies have also shown that drinking water can reduce our risk of colon cancer
– Water fights fat (helps the body metabolize fat)
– Drinking water is also key to reducing water retention (you retain water when you don’t get enough water)
Now that we know the low down on water you probably want to know how much water you should drink a day. Well, if you don’t really drink water to begin with I suggest you start with the 8-10 cups a day. (Yes you may be running to the restroom more frequently, but your body will appreciate it).
Once you are a pro at 8-10 cups a day I sugguest that you should take your weight and divide it in half and that is the minimum amount of ounces you want to drink a day.
What if you don’t really like water? Try adding lemon to your water for a lil flavor. You could also get a lil fancy and add cucumbers for a refreshing taste or even apples! Don’t be afraid to experiment! Find something that will work for you.
It also helps to have a water bottle at your desk or at home that will remind you to drink water. Next time you go out to eat have a glass of water instead of soda. For every cup of caffeine you have you should drink an extra cup of water.